POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Do you recognise any of these phrases? : Re: Do you recognise any of these phrases? Server Time
7 Sep 2024 15:24:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Do you recognise any of these phrases?
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 17 Jun 2008 16:40:27
Message: <4858213b$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 13:36:47 -0700, Darren New wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> I hear "opportunity" instead of "problem".
>
> That probably actually started out as reasonable advice. Some problems
> actually are opportunities. "Problem: The program is too slow.
> Opportunity: Rewrite it with better algorithms, given what we learned
> from the first version."   "Problem: we're out of cheap, popular CPUs.
> Opportunity: Sell the more expensive, more profitable CPUs."

I think that's probably right.  In a previous job, management referred to
all "problems" as "opportunities", though - regardless of whether or not
it actually was or not.  The spin was "it's an opportunity for you to
shine!".  But of course, on those days, I left my shoe shining kit at
home. :-(

> The problem comes not from determining if there's an opportunity within
> the problem, but from dismissing a very real problem by naming it
> "opportunity". :-)

Yep.

> As for the "110%", I usually answer that with "No, you get about 35%,
> unless you pay me overtime." ;-)

LOL, I like that.

Jim