POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Getting Kenned Ham, without paying. Server Time
12 Oct 2024 01:16:25 EDT (-0400)
  Getting Kenned Ham, without paying. (Message 91 to 100 of 588)
From: Warp
Subject: Re: Getting Kenned Ham, without paying.
Date: 18 Nov 2007 12:14:42
Message: <47407301@news.povray.org>
Vincent Le Chevalier <gal### [at] libertyallsurfspamfr> wrote:

> >> Ever heard of Occam's razor?
> >
> >   It doesn't make what I said above untrue.
> >

> Depends on what you mean by "correct".

> If we have a set of experimental facts and observations, and two
> competing theories that explain the facts, the consensus is that the
> correct theory is the simplest.

  I think that the spirit of the principle is that if two theories are
equivalent, there's no reason to choose the more complex one if the
simpler one explains the same things, not that the simpler one is somehow
automatically more "correct" than the more complex one.

  Simplicity by itself is in no way an indication of correctness, nor
a proof of anything.

  And by "correct" I mean the theory accurately describes the phenomenon
as it really is, not "what is by current knowledge, inside the limits of
our measurement capabilities, most plausible".

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

>   Simplicity by itself is in no way an indication of correctness, nor
> a proof of anything.
>
>   And by "correct" I mean the theory accurately describes the phenomenon
> as it really is, not "what is by current knowledge, inside the limits of
> our measurement capabilities, most plausible".

But then your definition of "correct" implies that nothing is ever
correct... You define it as necessarily outside of current knowledge...

Well that's OK. No theory is ever correct. Not much to discuss about
starting from there, I'm afraid.

--
Vincent

Post a reply to this message

Vincent Le Chevalier <gal### [at] libertyallsurfspamfr> wrote:
> Well that's OK. No theory is ever correct.

  I just wish all those "I *know* theory X is true" people would
understand that.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

> Vincent Le Chevalier <gal### [at] libertyallsurfspamfr> wrote:
>> Well that's OK. No theory is ever correct.
>
>   I just wish all those "I *know* theory X is true" people would
> understand that.

I think the point is that they *do* know that. They just use a different
version of "true" than you do. One that's not universally qualified.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     Remember the good old days, when we

Post a reply to this message