POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Random wonderings 0x20c26764ae15b956c9a5eb7c1a237639 Server Time
3 Sep 2024 19:17:09 EDT (-0400)
  Random wonderings 0x20c26764ae15b956c9a5eb7c1a237639 (Message 1 to 10 of 52)
From: Invisible
Subject: Random wonderings 0x20c26764ae15b956c9a5eb7c1a237639
Date: 7 Mar 2011 05:15:42
Message: <4d74b04e$1@news.povray.org>
Why do the majority of cartoon characters only have 8 digits instead of 10?

The unit square contains an infinite number of points. But is it
countably or uncountably infinite?

Every Sudoku problem is a graph colouring problem. But is every graph
colouring problem a Sudoku problem? (For suitable size and shape of
Sudoku grid.)

A black hole forms when you have such an insanely vast amount of mass
collected together in one place that it actually collapses under the
sheer force of its own gravitational field, crushing itself into a space
having zero volume and infinite density. So... how *the hell* do you
make a /small/ black hole? Surely a small object wouldn't generate
anywhere near enough gravity to form a black hole.

If the speed of light is constant, how the hell does light undergo
Doppler shift?

Why do almost all species of birds bob their heads when they walk?

What is the purpose of receipts? I mean, seriously, if you're anything
like me, you have hundreds of the damned things. What do you *do* with

actually sit down and *check* these things? For every damned purchase
they make?! [Obviously, for high-value items that you might need to
return, or for goods that your employer is paying for, the usefulness is
more obvious.]

Do spiders have a sense of smell?

Why is it called a "square root"? Surely "square route" would make far
more sense...

Why do only large feathers fall out? I mean, you often find a single
long black tail feather. But birds must have lots of smaller feathers
also. How come you never see any of those laying around?

Who put the dip in the dip, di-dip, di-dip?

Post a reply to this message

> Why do the majority of cartoon characters only have 8 digits instead of 10?

I've heard its easier to draw 3 fingers than 4. But, really, I dunno.

> The unit square contains an infinite number of points. But is it
> countably or uncountably infinite?

I suppose you could say that it's an infinite set of all complex numbers
in the range of [0,1+1i)?

> Every Sudoku problem is a graph colouring problem. But is every graph
> colouring problem a Sudoku problem? (For suitable size and shape of
> Sudoku grid.)

I don't necessarily think so. Sudoku has a very specific layout.

> A black hole forms when you have such an insanely vast amount of mass
> collected together in one place that it actually collapses under the
> sheer force of its own gravitational field, crushing itself into a space
> having zero volume and infinite density. So... how *the hell* do you
> make a /small/ black hole? Surely a small object wouldn't generate
> anywhere near enough gravity to form a black hole.

Take any mass and collapse it down small enough and it'll become a black
hole. Once it reaches a critical ration of mass/volume, then you'll have
a black hole. It may not last too long, or it may; and if it does, it
would be rather irresponsible to create one so close to our own planet.

> If the speed of light is constant, how the hell does light undergo
> Doppler shift?

Same way sound Doppler shifts. the packets of light are either closer or
further from each other depending on the relative velocity of the
emitter and the observer.

> Why do almost all species of birds bob their heads when they walk?

Good question. I thought it was mostly just birds from the columbidae
family that did that.

> What is the purpose of receipts? I mean, seriously, if you're anything
> like me, you have hundreds of the damned things. What do you *do* with

> actually sit down and *check* these things? For every damned purchase
> they make?! [Obviously, for high-value items that you might need to
> return, or for goods that your employer is paying for, the usefulness is
> more obvious.]

Right, you'd need to (at least in the United States) keep certain
receipts for tax purposes. If you purchase items on a debit card, it's
nice to have the slip of paper to take home and enter into your account
register. And, as you said, expense tracking is also another good
reason. Also, you may want to keep receipts to compare against your
account statement to make sure someone didn't pad the bill when they
cleared the credit card transaction.

> Do spiders have a sense of smell?

I'm sure they do, but not as we do. I imagine their palps have some sort
of chemical sense that can pick molecules out of the air. Especially the
free roaming varieties that don't set up a web. They also might need a
sense of smell to find a suitable mate.

> Why is it called a "square root"? Surely "square route" would make far
> more sense...

Wouldn't the square route be the perimeter of the square? Square root
because it is the root of exponentiation operation. The big number on
the bottom is the root, the little number on the top is the exponent. So
square root makes sense, as does cube root, 4th root, nth root, etc... :)

> Why do only large feathers fall out? I mean, you often find a single
> long black tail feather. But birds must have lots of smaller feathers
> also. How come you never see any of those laying around?

They're rather light and tend to drift around. I've seen lots of smaller
feathers. Go find a place where birds roost. You'll see all variety of
feathers, especially when they're molting.

> Who put the dip in the dip, di-dip, di-dip?

The 1950's?

Post a reply to this message

>> The unit square contains an infinite number of points. But is it
>> countably or uncountably infinite?
>
> I suppose you could say that it's an infinite set of all complex numbers
> in the range of [0,1+1i)?

It is undeniably infinite. But is it countable?

>> Every Sudoku problem is a graph colouring problem. But is every graph
>> colouring problem a Sudoku problem? (For suitable size and shape of
>> Sudoku grid.)
>
> I don't necessarily think so. Sudoku has a very specific layout.

Sure. Regular Sudoku is 9x9. But you can make 'em other sizes (with
other numbers of unique symbols).

>> A black hole forms when you have such an insanely vast amount of mass
>> collected together in one place that it actually collapses under the
>> sheer force of its own gravitational field, crushing itself into a space
>> having zero volume and infinite density. So... how *the hell* do you
>> make a /small/ black hole? Surely a small object wouldn't generate
>> anywhere near enough gravity to form a black hole.
>>

> Take any mass and collapse it down small enough and it'll become a black
> hole. Once it reaches a critical ration of mass/volume, then you'll have
> a black hole. It may not last too long, or it may; and if it does, it
> would be rather irresponsible to create one so close to our own planet.

But if you have a small mass, why would it be crushed to a small size?

>> If the speed of light is constant, how the hell does light undergo
>> Doppler shift?
>>

> Same way sound Doppler shifts.

But the speed of sound is /not/ constant. It changes depending on the
motion of the source and the receiver. Light, on the other hand, has the
seemingly impossible property that the relative motion of source and
receiver somehow makes no difference to the apparent velocity of the
light... but somehow *does* affect its wavelength? WTF?

>> Why do almost all species of birds bob their heads when they walk?
>
> Good question. I thought it was mostly just birds from the columbidae
> family that did that.

Seen a chicken walk recently? ;-)

>> What is the purpose of receipts?
>
> Right, you'd need to (at least in the United States) keep certain
> receipts for tax purposes. If you purchase items on a debit card, it's
> nice to have the slip of paper to take home and enter into your account
> register. And, as you said, expense tracking is also another good
> reason. Also, you may want to keep receipts to compare against your
> account statement to make sure someone didn't pad the bill when they
> cleared the credit card transaction.

Who the heck has an "account register" just for their personal stuff?
For business expenses, sure. But just for, like, "I went to the corner
shop yesterday and bought a loaf of bread", are you *really* going to
check your bank statement to see if every single transaction like that
was correctly charged? Who does this?

>> Do spiders have a sense of smell?
>
> I'm sure they do, but not as we do. I imagine their palps have some sort
> of chemical sense that can pick molecules out of the air. Especially the
> free roaming varieties that don't set up a web. They also might need a
> sense of smell to find a suitable mate.

Hmm, you're probably right. I think I recall something about a female
wolf spider's silk having a special taste to it...

>> Why is it called a "square root"? Surely "square route" would make far
>> more sense...
>
> Wouldn't the square route be the perimeter of the square?

It's the "route" to that square.

> Square root because it is the root of exponentiation operation.

Which just means that the term is used elsewhere too.

A "root" is generally a part of a plant. Whereas a "route", as in, "this
is how you get to this square number", would logically make more sense.

Probably means the original mathematician who worked all this out was
French or something... :-P

Post a reply to this message

> If the speed of light is constant, how the hell does light undergo
> Doppler shift?

Doppler shift is a shift in wavelength, not a shift in the speed the
wave travels.

http://www.loc.gov/rr/scitech/mysteries/pigeon.html

> What is the purpose of receipts? I mean, seriously, if you're anything
> like me, you have hundreds of the damned things. What do you *do* with

> actually sit down and *check* these things? For every damned purchase
> they make?! [Obviously, for high-value items that you might need to
> return, or for goods that your employer is paying for, the usefulness is
> more obvious.]

Proof of purchase.  Let's say the store clerk reported someone leaving
without paying.  You can show the cops your receipt and say "not me!"

Since another copy of the receipt is printed by the cash register, it
also makes sure that the store owner will be able to keep an accurate
inventory, as well as give the govt the sales taxes he collected from you.

What you do with the receipt once you've left the store is, of course,
up to you.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0EPG/is_n7_v29/ai_17027826/