POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Random wonderings 0x20c26764ae15b956c9a5eb7c1a237639 : Re: Random wonderings 0x20c26764ae15b956c9a5eb7c1a237639 Server Time
3 Sep 2024 11:25:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Random wonderings 0x20c26764ae15b956c9a5eb7c1a237639
From: Francois Labreque
Date: 7 Mar 2011 09:07:16
Message: <4d74e694$1@news.povray.org>

> If the speed of light is constant, how the hell does light undergo
> Doppler shift?

Doppler shift is a shift in wavelength, not a shift in the speed the
wave travels.

http://www.loc.gov/rr/scitech/mysteries/pigeon.html

> What is the purpose of receipts? I mean, seriously, if you're anything
> like me, you have hundreds of the damned things. What do you *do* with

> actually sit down and *check* these things? For every damned purchase
> they make?! [Obviously, for high-value items that you might need to
> return, or for goods that your employer is paying for, the usefulness is
> more obvious.]

Proof of purchase.  Let's say the store clerk reported someone leaving
without paying.  You can show the cops your receipt and say "not me!"

Since another copy of the receipt is printed by the cash register, it
also makes sure that the store owner will be able to keep an accurate
inventory, as well as give the govt the sales taxes he collected from you.

What you do with the receipt once you've left the store is, of course,
up to you.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0EPG/is_n7_v29/ai_17027826/