POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Random wonderings 0x20c26764ae15b956c9a5eb7c1a237639 Server Time
3 Sep 2024 15:13:31 EDT (-0400)
  Random wonderings 0x20c26764ae15b956c9a5eb7c1a237639 (Message 11 to 20 of 52)
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: Random wonderings 0x20c26764ae15b956c9a5eb7c1a237639
Date: 8 Mar 2011 13:07:41
Message: <4d76706d$1@news.povray.org>
Roman Reiner wrote:
>> Yep. There's really only two infinities you get when you talk about
>> "numbers" - Aleph0 and Aleph1.
>
> Wasn't the question whether there is a set that is larger than a countable
> infinite set and smaller than an uncountable infinite set proven to be
> unprovable?

My memory is that it was thought to be unprovable but later proven to not be
so. However, wikipedia (Cardinal_numbers) agrees with you. Not that it's
unprovable, but that its provability depends on the axioms of set theory you
accept. I suspect it depends in part on things like the axiom of choice, etc.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
     "That was fatal?"

On 08/03/2011 06:07 PM, Darren New wrote:
>> Wasn't the question whether there is a set that is larger than a
>> countable
>> infinite set and smaller than an uncountable infinite set proven to be
>> unprovable?
>
> My memory is that it was thought to be unprovable but later proven to
> not be so. However, wikipedia (Cardinal_numbers) agrees with you. Not
> that it's unprovable, but that its provability depends on the axioms of
> set theory you accept. I suspect it depends in part on things like the
> axiom of choice, etc.

That was my recollection - that the question is provably "independent"
of the standard axioms of set theory. (I believe the axiom of choice is
specifically implicated - although I have no idea WTF the axiom of
choice is.)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/