POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Random wonderings 0x20c26764ae15b956c9a5eb7c1a237639 : Re: Random wonderings 0x20c26764ae15b956c9a5eb7c1a237639 Server Time
3 Sep 2024 17:12:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Random wonderings 0x20c26764ae15b956c9a5eb7c1a237639
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 8 Mar 2011 15:03:00
Message: <4d768b74@news.povray.org>
On 08/03/2011 06:40 PM, Darren New wrote:
> Orchid XP v8 wrote:
>> So I suppose "how many points are there on the unit square" comes down
>> to "are the coordinates rational?"
>
> Draw a dot at sqrt(2),sqrt(2).

I suppose if we're not talking about real, physical space, but about
some mathematical abstraction, it can have whatever properties we define
it to have - including the point you describe not being part of the set.

>> Oh. You mean something *outside* the mass itself causes it to become a
>> black hole?
>
> Yes.

Right. So you have to take some matter and mash it somehow?

>> But then, wouldn't that just mean that as soon as you remove the
>> force, it wouldn't be a black hole any more?
>
> No. Science!

I don't know... Normally if you remove external force, pressure decreases.

>>> Sure, the relative speed of light can even be superluminal.
>>
>> No, it cannot.
>
> It can travel faster than the speed of light in the medium in which it's
> traveling.

I was under the impression that light does not require a transmission
medium.

>> This is exactly what relativity states. The speed of light, no matter
>> which way you measure it, is always constant. (Except as noted below.)
>
> The speed of light in a vacuum is always constant. That doesn't mean it
> can't travel faster than the speed of light in the medium in which it is
> traveling.

I don't understand.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/