POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Prices in America? Server Time
3 Sep 2024 19:17:07 EDT (-0400)
  Prices in America? (Message 1 to 10 of 26)
From: Stephen
Subject: Prices in America?
Date: 1 Mar 2011 12:27:08
Message: <4d6d2c6c$1@news.povray.org>

have a couple of questions.
What sort of hotel could I expect to get for USD 75 per night in Chicago?

TIA

--
Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: Prices in America?
Date: 3 Mar 2011 01:43:16
Message: <4d6f3884$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 01 Mar 2011 17:27:06 +0000, Stephen wrote:

> I’ve been offered a job in Chicago and to help me decide what to do I
> have a couple of questions.
> What sort of hotel could I expect to get for USD 75 per night in
> Chicago?

Depends on the part of Chicago, but in general, not very good.  A step up
from Motel 6 (though in that area, it might be a Motel 6 or Days Inn,
prices in Chicago are a bit higher than in other areas).

Decent hotel in downtown Chicago will run you probably a couple hundred
bucks a night.  I've stayed at the Marriott downtown - but also if you
expect to drive, parking is going to cost you probably $50/night (hotel
valet) at a place that has that kind of cost.

It's less expensive in the suburbs, but if you are to be working
downtown, the morning rush hour is something to consider, too.  Of
course, navigation in Chicago is also a bit weird, because of the dual-
layer streets in a few places.  Looking at a map can be confusing,
because it's not always clear when you're on "level 1" and when you're on
"level 2".

> What health insurance “policy maximum” would be reasonable to
> take out?

I'd think it depends on the kind of work you'll be doing and the
potential risks involved, and how long you'll be in town doing the work,
too.  You might also check with your GP in the UK for advice on coverage,
I know a few folks who have visited from the UK and were able to get
coverage for what sounded pretty decent rates (I can ask a friend who
dislocated her knee what the costs were when she went to the ER/Casualty
here in SLC if you like).

It also would depend on your general state of health and whether you're
looking for catastrophic coverage or just general medical insurance.
You'll want drug coverage if you need to get prescriptions filled (and if
you have current prescriptions, make sure you can get them filled here -
and if you can't, what the US equivalent drug would be).

> What haven’t I thought of?

Probably a few things, I just got back from Phoenix myself and am going
on about 10 hours of sleep (sounds good until I say that's the cumulative
amount of sleep over the last 3 nights), so I probably won't think of any
more until I get some sleep.

> TIA

NP. :-)

I've also got friends in Chicago, and I could put you in touch with them
if you wanted some 'local' help.

Jim

Post a reply to this message