POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Prices in America? : Re: Prices in America? Server Time
3 Sep 2024 11:22:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Prices in America?
From: Stephen
Date: 3 Mar 2011 06:42:03
Message: <4d6f7e8b@news.povray.org>
On 03/03/2011 6:43 AM, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Tue, 01 Mar 2011 17:27:06 +0000, Stephen wrote:
>
>> I’ve been offered a job in Chicago

Thanks for the reply Jim but I've turned it down for several reasons.
Mostly because my wife is not fit to come with me and I couldn't leave
her for the first 6 weeks of the assignment.

> Depends on the part of Chicago, ...

Thanks for the info and it confirms that the job offer, although
genuine, was a cheapskate one. The hourly rate was acceptable but there
was no expenses included so I would not have been able to save much.

>> What health insurance “policy maximum” would be reasonable to
>> take out?
>
> I'd think it depends on the kind of work you'll be doing and the
> potential risks involved, and how long you'll be in town doing the work,
> too.

Well it would have been sitting in front of a computer all day or
holding workshops. It was for a SAP Proof of Concept.

> You might also check with your GP in the UK for advice on coverage,
> I know a few folks who have visited from the UK and were able to get
> coverage for what sounded pretty decent rates (I can ask a friend who
> dislocated her knee what the costs were when she went to the ER/Casualty
> here in SLC if you like).

Good advice.

> It also would depend on your general state of health and whether you're
> looking for catastrophic coverage or just general medical insurance.
> You'll want drug coverage if you need to get prescriptions filled (and if
> you have current prescriptions, make sure you can get them filled here -
> and if you can't, what the US equivalent drug would be).

I’m fairly healthy but I am prescribed some drugs one of them a Schedule
II. I get them free in the UK in recognition of having survived to the
age I am. ;-)

>> What haven’t I thought of?
>
> Probably a few things, I just got back from Phoenix myself and am going
> on about 10 hours of sleep (sounds good until I say that's the cumulative
> amount of sleep over the last 3 nights), so I probably won't think of any
> more until I get some sleep.

The Joy!

Did I ever say that twice I've worked round the clock on the day the
clocks went back? Try putting that on a time sheet. ;-)

>> TIA
>
> NP. :-)

:-D

> I've also got friends in Chicago, and I could put you in touch with them
> if you wanted some 'local' help.

Good to know Jim and thanks. :-D

--
Regards