POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Cheapest way to get some kind of Windows install? Server Time
3 Sep 2024 19:18:34 EDT (-0400)
  Cheapest way to get some kind of Windows install? (Message 1 to 10 of 32)
From: Shay
Subject: Cheapest way to get some kind of Windows install?
Date: 12 Feb 2011 13:14:37
Message: <4d56ce0d$1@news.povray.org>
Want to run BB Desktop Manager once a month or so, but don't have a
Windows install. Haven't had one in a while, actually, and don't know
much about it anymore. Is there a cheap one I can buy somewhere or
should I just pick up an old laptop?

  -Shay

Post a reply to this message

> Want to run BB Desktop Manager once a month or so, but don't have a
> Windows install. Haven't had one in a while, actually, and don't know
> much about it anymore. Is there a cheap one I can buy somewhere or
> should I just pick up an old laptop?
>
> -Shay

I assume you mean something for a BlackBerry device? Would a virtual
machine, like VirtualBox, run windows well enough to power it? Or did
you just mean a cheap computer; there are plenty of those around that
cost less than new smart phones.

Post a reply to this message

>> Want to run BB Desktop Manager once a month or so, but don't have a
>> Windows install. Haven't had one in a while, actually, and don't know
>> much about it anymore. Is there a cheap one I can buy somewhere or
>> should I just pick up an old laptop?
>>
>> -Shay
>
> I assume you mean something for a BlackBerry device? Would a virtual
> machine, like VirtualBox, run windows well enough to power it? Or did
> you just mean a cheap computer; there are plenty of those around that
> cost less than new smart phones.

VirtualBox doesn't include Windows, and Windows is not usually cheap.

Post a reply to this message

On 24/02/2011 09:21 PM, Nicolas Alvarez wrote:

> VirtualBox doesn't include Windows, and Windows is not usually cheap.

Yeah, I've been wondering about this. I want to set up a VM with Windows
XP, but it's impossible to buy it even if I wanted to...

Post a reply to this message

>> VirtualBox doesn't include Windows, and Windows is not usually cheap.
>
> Yeah, I've been wondering about this. I want to set up a VM with Windows
> XP, but it's impossible to buy it even if I wanted to...

Where did you look?

Post a reply to this message

>> Yeah, I've been wondering about this. I want to set up a VM with Windows
>> XP, but it's impossible to buy it even if I wanted to...
>
> Where did you look?

Well, given that MS stopped supplying XP several years ago, that means
that you can't (legally) buy it.

The annoying thing is, I already *have* the software. Now if I could
just obtain a legal license key...

Post a reply to this message

--
Regards