POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Cops don't have to protect you? Server Time
3 Sep 2024 17:17:43 EDT (-0400)
  Cops don't have to protect you? (Message 11 to 20 of 24)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 4 Messages >>>
From: nemesis
Subject: Re: Cops don't have to protect you?
Date: 26 Jan 2011 15:55:01
Message: <web.4d408959a0044e8cf48316a30@news.povray.org>
> Patrick Elliott wrote:
> > "Cops have no obligation to timely defense of people in their own homes.", or some
similar idiocy.

> Unfortunately, when you actually look at the actual reality of things, this
> makes perfect sense.  Most people who get outraged over things like this (or
> who propose, for example, a cap on incomes or similar nonsense) don't stop
> and think that the rule has to apply to cases other than the one they're
> specifically considering at the moment.
>
> Like Joel Spolsky bitching about the power menu
> http://www.joelonsoftware.com/items/2006/11/21.html and ignoring the fact
> that not everyone is running a laptop with a lid that can be closed, or who
> might get on a plane and need to actually turn it off all the way, or might
> be connected to a computer in a different country and need to reboot it
> without turning it off, or ....

ZOMG, someone call the cops at this offending matter!

> (That, incidentally, was the post that taught me Mr Spolsky is a dipshit in
> many ways.)

he's an entertaining dipshit. :)

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 26 Jan 2011 16:58:21
Message: <4d4098fd$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 25 Jan 2011 11:46:57 -0500, Warp wrote:

> The police couldn't
> be bothered to investigate an ongoing kidnapping.

I think there's more to the story than the person making the video is
telling, because anything that mitigates the circumstances would clearly
break his narrative.

I would be surprised if there wasn't more to it.

Jim

Post a reply to this message