POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Product Mysteries Server Time
3 Sep 2024 21:17:38 EDT (-0400)
  Product Mysteries (Message 31 to 40 of 79)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: Product Mysteries
Date: 27 Jan 2011 11:34:19
Message: <4d419e8b$1@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 10:01:30 -0500, Warp wrote:

>> You'd be shocked to learn that 8086 and even 8085 processors are still
>> in use.  Generally (in my experience) in aviation, where high speed is
>> less important than reliability, stability, and the ability to operate
>> without generating a lot of heat (which increases the life of the
>> chip).
>
>   One could assume that if a 8086 was redesigned with modern technology,
> it could be built to take a hundreth of the space, made to consume a
> tenth of the energy and to produce a tenth of heat.

But there's no need to do so, the original design meets the specs and
requirements.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 27 Jan 2011 11:36:03
Message: <4d419ef3$1@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 09:30:12 +0000, Invisible wrote:

> On 26/01/2011 10:04 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
>> On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 09:15:26 +0000, Invisible wrote:
>>
>>> Engineers spend decades designing an LCD with a wide viewing angle,
>>> and then a company sells you a device to narrow the viewing angle
>>> again. :-D How absurd.
>>
>> Of course, because when you're using your laptop on a long flight,
>> sharing company confidential information with everyone in your row is a
>> good idea.
>
> Then you shouldn't be using your laptop. Obviously.

Obviously if you have work that needs to be done, that's not an option.

> (Besides, don't they insist that all electronic devices are turned off
> for the duration of the flight?)

Absolutely not.  During takeoff and landing.  Once you're at altitude,
it's perfectly fine.

> It would be only too easy for the guy behind you to peek between the
> seats and see your screen - something which even this silly angle
> limiter wouldn't prevent.

Sure, it's not intended to *prevent* it, just to make it harder.

Similar to the philosophy of putting a lock on your front door.  Are you
seriously suggesting that you shouldn't lock your door because someone
who's determined to get in will find a way anyways?

Jim

Post a reply to this message

On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 10:52:28 +0000, Stephen wrote:

> That is no WiFi,
> Bluetooth or phone transmissions.

And even today, WiFi is OK on many flights (as there are in-flight WiFi
services now on some flights).

Jim

Post a reply to this message

On 27/01/2011 04:36 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
>> It would be only too easy for the guy behind you to peek between the
>> seats and see your screen - something which even this silly angle
>> limiter wouldn't prevent.
>
> Sure, it's not intended to *prevent* it, just to make it harder.
>
> Similar to the philosophy of putting a lock on your front door.  Are you
> seriously suggesting that you shouldn't lock your door because someone
> who's determined to get in will find a way anyways?

A better analogy would be having a front door with no locks at all, and
just putting a little notice on it saying "please don't break in". It's
so utterly ineffective that there's no point doing it.

Post a reply to this message

On 27/01/2011 4:36 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 10:52:28 +0000, Stephen wrote:
>
>> That is no WiFi,
>> Bluetooth or phone transmissions.
>
> And even today, WiFi is OK on many flights (as there are in-flight WiFi
> services now on some flights).

I knew it was comming, didn't know it was here.

--
Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 16:50:28 +0000, Invisible wrote:

> On 27/01/2011 04:36 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
>>> It would be only too easy for the guy behind you to peek between the
>>> seats and see your screen - something which even this silly angle
>>> limiter wouldn't prevent.
>>
>> Sure, it's not intended to *prevent* it, just to make it harder.
>>
>> Similar to the philosophy of putting a lock on your front door.  Are
>> you seriously suggesting that you shouldn't lock your door because
>> someone who's determined to get in will find a way anyways?
>
> A better analogy would be having a front door with no locks at all, and
> just putting a little notice on it saying "please don't break in". It's
> so utterly ineffective that there's no point doing it.

So you leave your front door unlocked, then?  What was your address? ;-)

Jim

Post a reply to this message