POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Product Mysteries : Re: Product Mysteries Server Time
3 Sep 2024 23:23:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Product Mysteries
From: Stephen
Date: 27 Jan 2011 14:52:08
Message: <4d41cce8$1@news.povray.org>
On 27/01/2011 5:30 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:

>> >  I knew it was comming, didn't know it was here.
> Yeah, Delta has been doing it for about a year on selected flights, and
> over the holidays, Google sponsored it (so it was free).

In the UK, on some trains, there are some coaches that are designated
"quite zones". No laptops, music players or phones are allowed. You even
have to turn your book pages quietly.

> Interestingly, they seem to block wifi-capable cell phones (my cell
> wouldn't connect to it), but my eReader (based on Android, same as my
> phone) had no problems - so I sent text messages using my Nook (via
> Google Voice) to let people know my flight was delayed but that we were
> finally en route.

Do you mean that your phone could not get onto the internet?
A colleague, who could not get a phone signal at a hotel I stayed at
recently, was able to phone home (to France) via Skype on the hotels WiFi.

Which reminds me: How did the passengers on the doomed 7/11 flights
manage to phone home and leave messages?

--
Regards
     Stephen