POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Product Mysteries Server Time
3 Sep 2024 17:13:30 EDT (-0400)
  Product Mysteries (Message 11 to 20 of 79)
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: Product Mysteries
Date: 25 Jan 2011 13:24:57
Message: <4d3f1579$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> Ah, but what's this I see? A "privacy filter"? Yes, it's a small piece

> of plastic which is transparent only when viewed from certain
> directions. In other words, you stick it to your screen to reduce the
> viewing angle. WTF, people!? :-D

What part of "privacy" did you misunderstand?

> First of all, it's supposedly a video camera, and yet it costs less tha
> £2,000. Actually, it costs less than £500. To be blunt, it co
sts £75.
> This is highly suspicious.

Let me blow your mind:

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/usb-rechargeable-1-3mp-pin-hole-spy-av-camer
a-disguised-as-sunglasses-tf-slot-42736

> Quite why anybody would pay for an expensive 2MP photosensor and then
> stick it behind a crappy 7mm lens I have no idea.

I've never understood that, unless a 2MP photosensor is actually cheaper
in
bulk than a lower quality one.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
     "That was fatal?"

From: Darren New
Date: 25 Jan 2011 13:28:09
Message: <4d3f1639$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> OK, so you can change the frequency weightings and how often a keyframe
> is put in, and so forth. I'm not seeing much that fundamentally changes
> the whole algorithm such that it might require less computer power.

Making every frame a keyframe reduces the computing and memory you need. Not
using any B frames significantly reduces the amount of memory you need. Not
doing motion prediction reduces how much compute power you need. (At least
for MPEG. I don't know H.264, but I'd assume it's similar.)

> (Although, as I say, I imagine the really hungry bits probably
> have custom hardware acceleration in a device like this.)

Exactly.