POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Product Mysteries : Re: Product Mysteries Server Time
3 Sep 2024 19:13:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Product Mysteries
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 25 Jan 2011 16:13:02
Message: <4d3f3cde$1@news.povray.org>
On 25/01/2011 07:26 PM, Warp wrote:
> Darren New<dne### [at] sanrrcom>  wrote:
>>> Quite why anybody would pay for an expensive 2MP photosensor and then
>>> stick it behind a crappy 7mm lens I have no idea.
>
>> I've never understood that, unless a 2MP photosensor is actually cheaper in
>> bulk than a lower quality one.
>
>    Well, as technology advances it often quite ironically happens that
> the older some technology gets, the more expensive it becomes to purchase.
> The reason is simple: Lack of demand reduces supply.

I don't recall the details now, but the other day I discovered that
something like 128MB of PC100 RAM is more expensive than 1GB of PC3200.
Or similar. Which is quite bizarre, really...

Alternatively, if you're actually buying PC100, it means you have
something really critical that you need to keep working. (Rather than,
say, just replace the damned PC.) And if it's that critical, they can
charge you "sucker fees" (i.e., whatever they charge, you just have to
pay it, because you need it that badly).

In general though, I was under the impression that most technologies
don't dissappear, they just move down the food chain. For example, the
Z80 is still in production. It's extremely popular, apparently. And
rather cheap too. (I have no idea what the original sale price was, but
currently it's a few quid.)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/