POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Kindling Server Time
5 Sep 2024 05:24:35 EDT (-0400)
  Kindling (Message 191 to 200 of 520)
From: scott
Subject: Re: Kindling
Date: 19 Jan 2011 06:28:35
Message: <4d36cae3$1@news.povray.org>
> I've yet to see any LCD that comes even close to the resolution of a
> paper printout.

You haven't seen an iPhone with its 326 ppi LCD then? ;-)  Also don't
forget LCD can display one of 16m colours on every dot, whereas print
needs to use dithering techniques.

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 19 Jan 2011 06:34:04
Message: <4d36cc2c$1@news.povray.org>
On 19/01/2011 11:28 AM, scott wrote:
>> I've yet to see any LCD that comes even close to the resolution of a
>> paper printout.
>
> You haven't seen an iPhone with its 326 ppi LCD then? ;-)

No. But then, I haven't seen *most* of the phones on the market, so...

Basically, my question is this: If the technology exists to make a high
resolution LCD, then why is the iPhone the only device on the market to
do this?

> Also don't
> forget LCD can display one of 16m colours on every dot, whereas print
> needs to use dithering techniques.

My computer monitor at home is LCD, and it uses dithering to display the
full 2^24 colours. (Quite irritating, actually...) But sure, the
expensive ones can do it properly. (And even my monitor can manage more
than just black and white without any dithering.)

Post a reply to this message

>> You haven't seen an iPhone with its 326 ppi LCD then? ;-)
>
> No. But then, I haven't seen *most* of the phones on the market, so...
>
> Basically, my question is this: If the technology exists to make a high
> resolution LCD, then why is the iPhone the only device on the market to
> do this?

Cost, and maybe power consumption/battery life too.  A lot of smart
phones with touch screens are up around 250 ppi, but I think the iPhone
is the only one at the moment over 300.  As usual with almost every
product though, the technology will work its way down to the cheaper
handsets over the next few years.  Do you remember when only the
high-end phones had cameras in them?

> My computer monitor at home is LCD, and it uses dithering to display the
> full 2^24 colours. (Quite irritating, actually...) But sure, the
> expensive ones can do it properly. (And even my monitor can manage more
> than just black and white without any dithering.)

It's unusual to find even cheap monitors now that don't do proper 24bit.
  It used to be just because it was cheaper to only put a few thousand
6-bit DACs on the panel rather than 8-bit ones, but I guess the
difference has become negligible now.

Post a reply to this message

> On 19/01/2011 2:32 AM, Patrick Elliott wrote:
> > But, in general, books tend to have very sharp text, no blurring,
>
> You are showing yor age Patrick ;-)
> Books printed on pulp paper with hot metal were not only blurry the
> lines of text were not straight.

haha, PWNED

Post a reply to this message

> >> I've yet to see any LCD that comes even close to the resolution of a
> >> paper printout.
> >
> > You haven't seen an iPhone with its 326 ppi LCD then? ;-)
>
> No. But then, I haven't seen *most* of the phones on the market, so...
>
> Basically, my question is this: If the technology exists to make a high
> resolution LCD, then why is the iPhone the only device on the market to
> do this?

not quite the only device.  My motorola milestone 2 has a 240 dpi and I suspect
it's cheaper for small screens to provide it...

Post a reply to this message

>> Basically, my question is this: If the technology exists to make a high
>> resolution LCD, then why is the iPhone the only device on the market to
>> do this?
>
> As usual with almost every
> product though, the technology will work its way down to the cheaper
> handsets over the next few years.

So the answer is "because it's new"?

> Do you remember when only the high-end phones had cameras in them?

Remember? I *own* one of those phones! A little Nokia 3310. (I don't
*use* it any more, of course...)

>> My computer monitor at home is LCD, and it uses dithering to display the
>> full 2^24 colours. (Quite irritating, actually...)
>
> It's unusual to find even cheap monitors now that don't do proper 24bit.

Um... is that the way round you meant to say it?

> It used to be just because it was cheaper to only put a few thousand
> 6-bit DACs on the panel rather than 8-bit ones, but I guess the
> difference has become negligible now.

And here I was thinking it's because a liquid crystal's voltage response
is highly non-linear and it's hard to get the really small colour
graduations required...

Post a reply to this message