POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Kindling : Re: Kindling Server Time
5 Sep 2024 07:21:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Kindling
From: Invisible
Date: 19 Jan 2011 06:34:04
Message: <4d36cc2c$1@news.povray.org>
On 19/01/2011 11:28 AM, scott wrote:
>> I've yet to see any LCD that comes even close to the resolution of a
>> paper printout.
>
> You haven't seen an iPhone with its 326 ppi LCD then? ;-)

No. But then, I haven't seen *most* of the phones on the market, so...

Basically, my question is this: If the technology exists to make a high
resolution LCD, then why is the iPhone the only device on the market to
do this?

> Also don't
> forget LCD can display one of 16m colours on every dot, whereas print
> needs to use dithering techniques.

My computer monitor at home is LCD, and it uses dithering to display the
full 2^24 colours. (Quite irritating, actually...) But sure, the
expensive ones can do it properly. (And even my monitor can manage more
than just black and white without any dithering.)