POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Kindling : Re: Kindling Server Time
5 Sep 2024 07:26:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Kindling
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 19 Jan 2011 10:03:42
Message: <4d36fd4e@news.povray.org>
Le 19/01/2011 15:43, scott a écrit :
> 326 dpi on a 20" display is 5500 x 3500 pixels.  Can you get a regular
> graphics card to do that, imagine the fill-rate needed!  I don't think
> DVI can go that high either, you'd need something special.

DVI single link is limited to 165 MHz and 24 bits per pixels.
DVI dual link is not limited, excepted by the copper and both ends.

But the reality of a 20" display at 326 dpi, for 2D, is not useful.
For hand held, 326 dpi is fine (very fine).
For a 20" display, that would make the pixel unreadable.
(usual pixel size is between 0.2 and 0.3 mm, which is about the
classical 72 & 100 dpi of fonts)
Pushing to 200 dpi in 20" would still be a frivolous move.

--
A good Manager will take you
through the forest, no mater what.