POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Molecular biology Server Time
5 Sep 2024 03:19:51 EDT (-0400)
  Molecular biology (Message 286 to 295 of 465)
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: Molecular biology
Date: 15 Jan 2011 23:41:17
Message: <4d3276ed$1@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott wrote:
> Scientific terms, like biology, get messy, when they skirt the edges of
> what they *do* define, especially *in* biology. In this case, the
> definition can get fuzzy,

Yes. That's what I'm saying. That seems to be what Warp is denying. Hence my
question to him.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Serving Suggestion:

From: Warp
Date: 16 Jan 2011 03:27:55
Message: <4d32ac0a@news.povray.org>
> I'm not trying to invalidate Warp's claim. Nowhere did I say Warp was wrong
> in his claim. I just asked him how he defines "species" beyond "it's
> genetic". Because by *his* definition, two men are not of the same species.

  No, that's actually your claim. I'm talking about genetics. You are
talking about everything else other than genetics, including behavior,
gender and whatnot.

  The definition of species is not dependent on behavior.

  Let me put it this way: Why are dogs and horses different species?
Is it because they simply won't mate because of behavioral and physical
differences, or is it because even if you tried to fertilize a horse
ovum with a dog sperm, nothing will happen because they are genetically
incompatible?

  You make it sound like every living being could reproduce with any
other living being on Earth, but they just won't because they either are
of the wrong size or because of instinct. That's not how it works.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

> Darren New<dne### [at] sanrrcom>  wrote:
>> I'm not trying to invalidate Warp's claim. Nowhere did I say Warp was wrong
>> in his claim. I just asked him how he defines "species" beyond "it's
>> genetic". Because by *his* definition, two men are not of the same species.
>
>    No, that's actually your claim. I'm talking about genetics. You are
> talking about everything else other than genetics, including behavior,
> gender and whatnot.
>
>    The definition of species is not dependent on behavior.

There is no universal acknowledged definition of species, nor can there
be. As working 'hypothesis' both the behavioral and the your more
restricted definition are used.
The fact that we now have 3 species of elephant is because the African
forest species did not interbreed with the savanna one for millions of
years even though it genetically still can*. The definition of species
is part of what is behind the still raging discussion. See also the wiki
pages on elephant and african elephant.

>    Let me put it this way: Why are dogs and horses different species?
> Is it because they simply won't mate because of behavioral and physical
> differences, or is it because even if you tried to fertilize a horse
> ovum with a dog sperm, nothing will happen because they are genetically
> incompatible?
>
>    You make it sound like every living being could reproduce with any
> other living being on Earth, but they just won't because they either are
> of the wrong size or because of instinct. That's not how it works.

I am sure you are aware that you have not answered his question. Even if
there is no universal accepted definition of species, for the sake of
the discussion you could still provide him with yours.

*) yet on the African Elephant page there is also 'but hybrids between
the two species commonly occur.' If that happened and the offspring is
fertile the genetic pool should be mixed, yet it apparently isn't.
Consult your resident elephant expert for more information.

Post a reply to this message