POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Molecular biology Server Time
5 Sep 2024 19:27:13 EDT (-0400)
  Molecular biology (Message 206 to 215 of 465)
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: Molecular biology
Date: 12 Jan 2011 11:51:14
Message: <4d2ddc02$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>> It's trivial to do in a lab. Take any experiment that speciates fruit flies,
>> for example. Stop it half way through and let them mix together again.
>> Bingo, it happened. :-)
>
>   Can you actually speciate two groups of fruit flies in the lab so much
> that they can't reproduce anymore with each other, hence making them two
> different species?

Surprisingly enough, it really is trivial.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speciation#Artificial_speciation

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Serving Suggestion:

From: Invisible
Date: 12 Jan 2011 11:52:54
Message: <4d2ddc66$1@news.povray.org>
On 12/01/2011 04:12 PM, Warp wrote:
> Invisible<voi### [at] devnull>  wrote:
>> If you can't, take a look at dogs. Some kinds can't interbreed with each
>> other, if only due to huge differences in size. Humans did that.
>
>    I don't think that is what defines a species. It's about genetics.

How about this: There are two species of grasshopper that never
interbreed. The females of species A ignore the songs of males of
species B. However, if you mute the male and play back a recording of a
male of species A, the two will mate, and produce viable offspring. It's
just that this only ever happens in the lab.

Does that not count as two species then?

Similarly, there are probably classes of birds where you could do the
same thing by putting coloured visors over the bird's eyes, or moths
where you could mask one chemical pheromone with another. Are these
separate species?

You can apparently mate a lion with a tiger, producing either a "liger"
or a "tiglon". (Go look them up.) But this never happens in the wild (as
far as we know). Are these separate species?

Indeed, you can even do really weird stuff like implant a goat embryo
into a big. But that doesn't make goats and pigs the same species.

If two creatures would not normally interbreed, they are separate species.

Post a reply to this message