  Re: Molecular biology
From: Darren New
Date: 12 Jan 2011 11:57:04
Message: <4d2ddd60$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>> Apparently, the Congress requires the President to announce the national day
>> of prayer. Obama is the most atheist-friendly president we've ever had, afaik.
>
>> """
>> The Congress, by Public Law 100-307, as amended, has called on the President
>> to issue each year a proclamation designating the first Thursday in May as a
>> "National Day of Prayer."
>> """
>
>   Ok, I retract my allegation that it was Obama's own decision to announce
> the day. It might well be that he had not much choice (lest he cause even
> *more* unneeded controversy).

Actually, given that he almost invariably includes people of no faith when
discussing such things in his speeches, and this particular speech he
didn't, I think he did indeed make it a religious national day of prayer.

I just don't think that blaming Obama for something that's been official for
decades is worthwhile. It makes it sound like it's Obama's fault, or
something unusual about Obama's administration in this respect.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Serving Suggestion: