POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Molecular biology Server Time
9 Oct 2024 07:13:56 EDT (-0400)
  Molecular biology (Message 176 to 185 of 465)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: Molecular biology
Date: 11 Jan 2011 17:33:30
Message: <4d2cdaba$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 11 Jan 2011 17:04:42 -0500, Warp wrote:

>> >   1) Keep the government separate and completely neutral with respect
>> > religion, taking no stance on it whatsoever (as long as they don't
>> > break the law, of course), like any other civilized country.
>
>> Declaring a national day of prayer does not have the government taking
>> a stance on religion.
>
>   Of course it is. It's an implicit encouragement from the government
>   for
> people to follow a religious custom.

IF THEY BELIEVE IN IT.  It's not saying "even if you don't believe in it,
give it a try, you might like it".

>> "Shall make no law respecting the establishment of a religion" does not
>> mean that it prohibits people who work in government from ever talking
>> about religion.
>
>   Of course they are free to do whatever they want, but not officially
> on behalf of the government. The government has certain responsibilities
> and duties towards their citizens.

Of course they do.  And encouraging people to practice their beliefs -
whatever those beliefs are - isn't advocating for a particular religion.
It doesn't establish a state-sponsored religion at all.  It says "hey, if
you believe in this, practice it".  Simple.  Not advocating for Jesus,
not advocating for the Pope, just simply saying "if you believe this, do
it."

>   When the president speaks to the country on a televised official
>   ceremony,
> that's quite different from the president talking with a friend.

Sure.  And saying "if you believe in this, here's an opportunity to
practice it" is different from saying "if you don't, we'll fine you or
lock your ass up in jail."

The former is not establishment of a state-sponsored religion.  The
second is.  Note the differences.

Jim

Post a reply to this message