8 Oct 2024 21:12:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Molecular biology
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 11 Jan 2011 17:56:05
Message: <4d2ce005$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 11 Jan 2011 14:48:14 -0800, Darren New wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:

>>> I'll just point out again that it wasn't the executive branch, but the
>>> congress, that declared a national day of prayer.
>>
>> Somehow I missed that,
>
> Yeah. NDoP was established back when we were fighting the godless
> communists in the 1950's.

Yes, back in 1952, but such a thing did actually exist off and on going
back to the 1700s in the US.  The Continental Congress declared an NDP
back in 1775, and Washington proclaimed a day of public thanksgiving and
prayer back in 1795.  (Obviously, the 1775 reference predates the US
Constitution).  President Madison also declared an observance around 1813
as well.

So did Lincoln back in 1863.

Jefferson opposed it the idea in 1808.

The law as it stands today, just requires the President select a day for
NDP - it doesn't really say anything about what such prayer should be or
which denomination/religion/belief system should be the basis for such
selection.

Jim