POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I haven't read the entire paper yet, but the analogies are rather apt Server Time
3 Sep 2024 19:15:37 EDT (-0400)
  I haven't read the entire paper yet, but the analogies are rather apt (Message 69 to 78 of 78)
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: I haven't read the entire paper yet, but the analogies are ratherapt
Date: 13 Dec 2010 13:23:27
Message: <4d06649f$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> Logically, this is a perfectly valid argument. But intuitively, it
> doesn't make much sense. "You can't write this ratio because if you did,
> it would be *evil*!" Um... OK? So how come you can't do it then?

Proof by contradiction isn't reducto ad absurdum.

You say "Assume that X exists." Then you prove that from there you can
logically derive the fact that X doesn't exist.  That's a contradiction.
Since you only made one assumption, the contradiction must be logically
derived from the assumption you made, namely that X exists. (X in this case
being the ratio that expresses sqrt(2).)

> On the other hand, any positive integer can be represented as the
> product of unique prime numbers, each raised to a positive integral
> power. For example, 99 = 3^2 * 11^1. And when you square a number, you
> simply double all the exponents. Hence, 99^2 = 9801 = 3^4 * 11^2.

That's a lot more to prove before you can prove the sqrt(2) is irrational.

> Now A/B = Sqrt(2) is equivalent to A^2/B^2 = 2. And in order for the
> ratio to be 2, A^2 and B^2 must have identical factors, except for A^2
> having an exponent for 2 which is exactly one higher than the exponent
> for 2 in B^2. But, as just established, the exponents of all prime
> factors of a square number are always even, so this condition is
> completely impossible to satisfy.

That's a very similar proof.

> This doesn't *prove* anything, but it does explain why you can't solve
> the equation, in a way which intuitively makes sense.

Actually, that *is* a valid proof. I'm not sure why you think it's not a proof.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Serving Suggestion: