POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I haven't read the entire paper yet, but the analogies are rather apt : Re: I haven't read the entire paper yet, but the analogies are ratherapt Server Time
3 Sep 2024 21:17:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I haven't read the entire paper yet, but the analogies are ratherapt
From: Darren New
Date: 16 Dec 2010 11:05:03
Message: <4d0a38af$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> On 13/12/2010 06:23 PM, Darren New wrote:
>
>> Proof by contradiction isn't reducto ad absurdum.
>
> What is then?

Reducto ad absurdum is reducto ad absurdum.

> Presumably since I haven't proven the Fundamental Theorem of Arithmetic,
> this doesn't count as a valid proof.

That's an implicit lemma of most proofs.

For example, your "on the other hand" paragraph might need proof, might not,
depending who you're trying to prove it to.

> It does, however, make a lot more sense to somebody who is willing to
> take it on faith. (I gather that actually *proving* the matter in this
> direction is drastically more complex...)

No, it's one of the first known mathematical proofs. It's not drastically
more complex.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Serving Suggestion: