POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I haven't read the entire paper yet, but the analogies are rather apt : Re: I haven't read the entire paper yet, but the analogies are ratherapt Server Time
3 Sep 2024 21:19:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I haven't read the entire paper yet, but the analogies are ratherapt
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 16 Dec 2010 07:13:56
Message: <4d0a0284$1@news.povray.org>
On 13/12/2010 06:23 PM, Darren New wrote:

> Proof by contradiction isn't reducto ad absurdum.

What is then?

>> This doesn't *prove* anything, but it does explain why you can't solve
>> the equation, in a way which intuitively makes sense.
>
> Actually, that *is* a valid proof. I'm not sure why you think it's not a
> proof.

Presumably since I haven't proven the Fundamental Theorem of Arithmetic,
this doesn't count as a valid proof.

It does, however, make a lot more sense to somebody who is willing to
take it on faith. (I gather that actually *proving* the matter in this
direction is drastically more complex...)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/