POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I haven't read the entire paper yet, but the analogies are rather apt Server Time
4 Sep 2024 03:17:39 EDT (-0400)
  I haven't read the entire paper yet, but the analogies are rather apt (Message 51 to 60 of 78)
From: nemesis
Subject: Re: I haven't read the entire paper yet, but the analogies are ratherapt
Date: 11 Dec 2010 22:46:47
Message: <4d0445a7@news.povray.org>
nemesis wrote:
> clipka wrote:
>> Am 11.12.2010 13:14, schrieb Orchid XP v8:
>>
>>> By contrast, this paper seems to assert that mathematics is about
>>> constructing abstractions and building theories out of them as a matter
>>> of creativity. Obviously I've never seen any cutting-edge mathematics
>>> (and I never will), but I've always thought of mathematics looking at
>>> interesting systems and discovering their properties, out of simple
>>> human curiosity. Certainly that's why *I* explore mathematics; it's the
>>> desire to know everything about everything.
>>
>> ... despite there existing proof that this desire is insatisifiable
>> (which I find an interesting thing to know, too) - and not only in
>> this world, but also in any imaginable one (another interesting thing)
>> except for pretty boring worlds.

or perhaps of Turing himself? :p

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 12 Dec 2010 00:35:40
Message: <4d045f2c$1@news.povray.org>
nemesis wrote:
> suppose you have a set of 2 things and a set of 3 things.  How many things you
> have in total?  Is that not how you even learn basic arithmetic?

Yeah, except you don't start out with "things". That's why it's like that
1-function variant Andrew always talks about. The S or the K or whatever.
The only "thing" you have is a set. And sets don't have order. So how do you
even *represent* "three" using only sets, with nothing in the sets but other
sets?

> functions?  a formula mapping things from a set to things from another set?

Except, again, you have to do it with sets.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Serving Suggestion: