POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I haven't read the entire paper yet, but the analogies are rather apt : Re: I haven't read the entire paper yet, but the analogies are ratherapt Server Time
4 Sep 2024 01:14:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I haven't read the entire paper yet, but the analogies are ratherapt
From: Darren New
Date: 12 Dec 2010 00:35:40
Message: <4d045f2c$1@news.povray.org>
nemesis wrote:
> suppose you have a set of 2 things and a set of 3 things.  How many things you
> have in total?  Is that not how you even learn basic arithmetic?

Yeah, except you don't start out with "things". That's why it's like that
1-function variant Andrew always talks about. The S or the K or whatever.
The only "thing" you have is a set. And sets don't have order. So how do you
even *represent* "three" using only sets, with nothing in the sets but other
sets?

> functions?  a formula mapping things from a set to things from another set?

Except, again, you have to do it with sets.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Serving Suggestion: