POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I haven't read the entire paper yet, but the analogies are rather apt : Re: I haven't read the entire paper yet, but the analogies are ratherapt Server Time
4 Sep 2024 01:17:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I haven't read the entire paper yet, but the analogies are ratherapt
From: clipka
Date: 12 Dec 2010 09:13:28
Message: <4d04d888$1@news.povray.org>
Am 12.12.2010 06:35, schrieb Darren New:

> Yeah, except you don't start out with "things". That's why it's like
> that 1-function variant Andrew always talks about. The S or the K or
> whatever. The only "thing" you have is a set. And sets don't have order.
> So how do you even *represent* "three" using only sets, with nothing in
> the sets but other sets?

Oh, that's pretty simple:

First, we start with a contrived unary operation on arbitrary sets we
call "increment" some obscure reason:

   A++ := A U {A}

(The notation for the operation is, as you may guess, not common in the
mathematical world ;-))

Next, we define the inverse operation:

   (A++)-- := A

Next, we define a set we call "zero"; we could use an arbitrary
definition, but as we have no other sets in our little world yet, we use
the empty set:

   0 := {}

Next, we recursively define a set of objects we call "natural numbers":

   N  := { n | n-- is element of N U 0}
   N° := N U 0

Now we can assign symbols to the natural numbers:

There.

 From here on, we can extend our little world of arithmetics by defining
an operation on two arbitrary natural numbers called "addition", define
the inverse operation called "subtraction", define another operation
called "multiplication", and so forth...

And it all lives within the realms of set theory.