POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : What is the Universe made of? Server Time
4 Sep 2024 01:21:01 EDT (-0400)
  What is the Universe made of? (Message 41 to 50 of 56)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 6 Messages >>>
From: bart
Subject: Re: What is the Universe made of?
Date: 4 Nov 2010 16:14:52
Message: <4cd3143c$1@news.povray.org>
On 11/04/2010 07:29 PM, Darren New wrote:
> bart wrote:

>>> No, they probably aren't. You can test such things, you know. Dolphins,
>>> gorillas, a few others probably are, including some birds.
>>>
>>> Chickens and fish probably aren't.

This is a funny one:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/12/03/clever-chicken-hides-out_n_148133.html

Post a reply to this message

From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 4 Nov 2010 16:34:25
Message: <4cd318d1$1@news.povray.org>
On 11/4/2010 12:52 PM, Warp wrote:
> Darren New<dne### [at] sanrrcom>  wrote:
>> Warp wrote:
>>>    Time must exist, or else it would be impossible to postulate essential
>>> properties of physics such as the second law of thermodynamics.
>
>> The second law is statistical.
>
>    It still states that the entropy of an isolated system never decreases.
>
>>> You can unambiguously distinguish if a closed system is going forward in
>>> time by measuring its entropy.)
>
>> No you can't, because time is reversible.
>
>    That would mean that entropy is also reversible, which would break the
> second law.

Well, in point of fact, Hawkins has proposed that time is an artifact of
probability, in a sense. I.e., *now* is not a strict result of then, but
rather than now is a product of all possible "thens" that could have
produced this moment. This means that time does pass, but the state of
the universe at any moment is merely the constrained result of the
statistical probabilities of the prior moment. So.. How do you reverse
time, if the further back you go, the greater the degree of variance you
end up with, with respect to what *could have* happened prior, and still
have the same "now" as a result? Basically, you can't, since you can't
know what of the N number of possible "exact" conditions existed in the
last moment, so the farther back you end up, the more likely you are to
land at a state where the odds or 50/50 that you can get back to now, or
worse, slightly in favor of *never* getting back to the same point at all.

At least I think that is what he was getting at, but the article
mentioned the concept in like 2-3 sentences...

Biggest issue though is, there is probably nearly absolute zero
probability of events, i.e., entropy (since it is one of the constraints
itself) actually changing in a way that would result in the prior
moment, instead of the next one. Now.. Whether or not you could create
some sort of "local" change is another matter, but.. just guessing, you
might end up with something more like the Stargate SG1 case where some
guy tried to go back in time using a huge mass of linked gates, and time
reversed "locally", but only from the perspective of those inside the
resulting bubble. To change events such that the rest of the universe
didn't protest the anomaly...

--
void main () {

     if version = "Vista" {