POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : An observation Server Time
4 Sep 2024 01:20:16 EDT (-0400)
  An observation (Message 31 to 40 of 107)
From: Francois Labreque
Subject: Re: An observation
Date: 27 Oct 2010 08:58:32
Message: <4cc821f8$1@news.povray.org>
Le 2010-10-26 17:24, Orchid XP v8 a écrit :
>>> Wikipedia asserts that many newer ATMs run Windows - which would be
>>> extremely disturbing if true...
>>
>> You would be amazed at how many cash registers, ATMs, and even vending
>> machines are actually running Windows.
>
> Why on earth would you pay vast sums of money to use software that only
> provides features that you don't actually need?
>
> I'm not denying your claim, only that it makes no rational sense. I've
> seen Windows running on plenty of PCs in various retail stores. M&S had
> the Windows 2000 logo obviously visible on the touchscreens of their
> checkout machines too. And don't even get me started on the video
> adverts I saw on London Euston all proclaiming that "STOP 0x00000001E
> has occurred"...

More about Prague airport...

I was waiting for my flight home and trying to understand the Czech news
lady (it was Sept 12 2006, and she was talking about the 5th anniversary
of the WTC attacks), when all of a sudden, all of the tv screens in the
airport, including arrivals/departures displays, switched back to the XP
desktop with the little bubble in the lower right corner advising that
some icons had not been used in 60 days.