POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : An observation Server Time
4 Sep 2024 13:20:07 EDT (-0400)
  An observation (Message 18 to 27 of 107)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: An observation
Date: 26 Oct 2010 17:35:41
Message: <4cc749ad$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 26 Oct 2010 12:53:12 -0700, Darren New wrote:

> You would be amazed at how many cash registers, ATMs, and even vending
> machines are actually running Windows.

Yep.  And airline information boards (always fun to see one of those
bluescreened) and here in Utah, the light rail system ticket kiosks as
well.

I had an interesting discussion with a guy who works for Red Hat last
week about this as well - seems odd to us that the banks are willing to
spend so much money on Windows licenses for kiosks when such tasks are so
trivial that an OS like Linux which can be set up as a simple appliance
fairly easily.

(Of course it's not just about the technical challenges but also about
support)

Jim

Post a reply to this message