POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Made me laugh... Server Time
3 Sep 2024 23:23:54 EDT (-0400)
  Made me laugh... (Message 46 to 55 of 65)
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: Made me laugh...
Date: 21 Oct 2010 12:13:34
Message: <4cc066ae$1@news.povray.org>
Mike Raiford wrote:
> We can't prove there is something outside our own
> universe because it's beyond what we can observe about our own universe.

There's a fair amount of sci-fi that does just this sort of thing. I
wouldn't say it's logically impossible to prove there's something outside
our own universe.

See, for example, Greg Egan's "Permutation City", or Robert Sawyer's
"Calculating God".  And of course if something from outside simply modified
the simulation to tell us of its existence...

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Serving Suggestion:

> > We can't prove there is something outside our own
> > universe because it's beyond what we can observe about our own universe.
>
> There's a fair amount of sci-fi that does just this sort of thing. I
> wouldn't say it's logically impossible to prove there's something outside
> our own universe.
>
> See, for example, Greg Egan's "Permutation City", or Robert Sawyer's
> "Calculating God".  And of course if something from outside simply modified
> the simulation to tell us of its existence...

Exactly the footnote to Carl Sagan's "Contact" - the novel, at least.

Post a reply to this message