POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Made me laugh... : Re: Made me laugh... Server Time
4 Sep 2024 01:18:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Made me laugh...
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 21 Oct 2010 18:36:41
Message: <4cc0c079$1@news.povray.org>
On 10/21/2010 12:38 AM, scott wrote:
>>> Sadly, this is not uncommon. However, many, including myself, have
>>> argued that you cannot have such a drastic error in thinking, and not
>>> have it spill over into your own discipline,
>>
>> Huh. Odd. Some of the smartest people I know doing computers are
>> devoutly religious. I can't imagine why you'd think that belief that
>> Jesus sacrificed himself to save you would interfere with your ability
>> to design computer software, for example.
>
> Ditto here, I know several of the Engineers I work with are very
> religious, and it doesn't affect their work at all, why would it?

Just to be clear, it doesn't always, necessarily effect their own
discipline, but it may undermine understanding of others. And, as I said
in the other post I just made, it **highly** depends on whether or not
you ever run into a situation where a conflict "does" appear. Given
enough time, some sort of conflict will. Its just that, for the most
part, people don't live long enough for it to be a statistical certainty.

But, just for the sake of argument. Would someone asking them to build
something that conflicts with their belief be considered "having an
effect on their work"? Or is refusing to work (or the category I named
previously, which is "refusing to look at things that conflict"),
somehow not the same thing? I think they are. Though, the nature of that
problem is **far** more obvious when you consider the sort of,
"conscientious objector refuses to give X person Y medicine, even though
they are the only pharmacy for 200 miles that carries it."

Engineers are less likely to run into such situations, admittedly, but
they instead have a very bad habit of showing up in someone "else's"
work shop, to tell them that their expertise as an engineer **backs**
their religion, which in turn undermines the other guys entire
discipline. A problem that wouldn't be so annoying, except that, as I
stated in the other post, sometimes you can't *make* progress in other
disciplines without referencing things in others, and.. well.. What
happens when you consult an engineer on something in biology, and the
engineer does 100% perfect work in engineering, but rejects the
underlying principles *of* the biology they are being asked to lend
their own expertise on?

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {