POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Made me laugh... : Re: Made me laugh... Server Time
4 Sep 2024 01:22:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Made me laugh...
From: scott
Date: 22 Oct 2010 04:34:50
Message: <4cc14caa$1@news.povray.org>
> But, just for the sake of argument. Would someone asking them to build
> something that conflicts with their belief be considered "having an effect
> on their work"?

Of course, and in that case they shouldn't be in that job, but people who
have strong beliefs about one thing or another usually don't take jobs where
there could be a conflict.  I can't imagine many technical jobs where
believing in Jesus would cause a conflict.  However I can imagine lots of
technical jobs where being anti-war or anti-animal-cloning would cause a
conflict.  In these cases people simply don't apply for jobs where that
would be involved (or even for a company that does stuff like that).

> Engineers are less likely to run into such situations, admittedly, but
> they instead have a very bad habit of showing up in someone "else's" work
> shop, to tell them that their expertise as an engineer **backs** their
> religion, which in turn undermines the other guys entire discipline.

Huh, sorry I have no idea what you mean by that, and also I don't know any
engineers that work in a workshop, nor any that preach their religious
beliefs in the workplace.

> A problem that wouldn't be so annoying, except that, as I stated in the
> other post, sometimes you can't *make* progress in other disciplines
> without referencing things in others, and.. well.. What happens when you
> consult an engineer on something in biology, and the engineer does 100%
> perfect work in engineering, but rejects the underlying principles *of*
> the biology they are being asked to lend their own expertise on?

You can't force people to work on things they don't want to.  If someone has
chosen to be an engineer on PC monitors for example, you can't expect them
to willingly give advice on how to design a missile or engineer a system to
clone humans.  If you ask someone advice out of their field of work, you
have to expect there might be a conflict, especially for sensitive subjects.