POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : iPhone4 component costs Server Time
3 Sep 2024 21:18:11 EDT (-0400)
  iPhone4 component costs (Message 17 to 26 of 26)
From: scott
Subject: Re: iPhone4 component costs
Date: 25 Oct 2010 08:02:31
Message: <4cc571d7@news.povray.org>
> Well, the iPhone runs on battery power, so yeah, the power supply is
> probably a little unstable.

Not just that, but from a single voltage (the battery) several very stable
voltages must be generated.  This involves lots of analogue components (eg
how do you efficiently make accurate 3.3V, 5V and 8V lines from a LiPo
battery that can be between 3 and 4.5V?).

> I'm thinking more about desktop PC motherboards. Why do *they* need so
> many million capacitors?

Noise reduction, basically they allow everything to run correctly at much
higher frequencies than would be possible without them.  It works two ways,
the capacitors around each IC help to keep a smooth voltage level for that
IC, ie shielding it from any noise on the power supply lines.  Also the
capacitor then prevents a lot of noise being put back onto the supply line
from the ICs.

There are also a lot of resistors on the signal lines, these in conjunction
with the tiny parasitic capacitances cause a low-pass filter effect on the
signals.  This also helps to reduce noise emission from the lines.

Post a reply to this message

>> Well, the iPhone runs on battery power, so yeah, the power supply is
>> probably a little unstable.
>
> Not just that, but from a single voltage (the battery) several very
> stable voltages must be generated. This involves lots of analogue
> components (eg how do you efficiently make accurate 3.3V, 5V and 8V
> lines from a LiPo battery that can be between 3 and 4.5V?).

1. Why do you need several different voltages?

2. I'm not aware of any way to change the voltage of a DC circuit. You
can use a resistor to limit current, but AFAIK there's no way to
actually change voltages.

>> I'm thinking more about desktop PC motherboards. Why do *they* need so
>> many million capacitors?
>
> Noise reduction, basically they allow everything to run correctly at
> much higher frequencies than would be possible without them. It works
> two ways, the capacitors around each IC help to keep a smooth voltage
> level for that IC, ie shielding it from any noise on the power supply
> lines. Also the capacitor then prevents a lot of noise being put back
> onto the supply line from the ICs.
>
> There are also a lot of resistors on the signal lines, these in
> conjunction with the tiny parasitic capacitances cause a low-pass filter
> effect on the signals. This also helps to reduce noise emission from the
> lines.

Mmm, interesting. (And ridiculously complicated.) I wonder how much of
this stuff is to do with electromagnetic radiation? (You don't want EM
interference stopping your motherboard working, and you don't want the
board to radiate EM either...)

Post a reply to this message