POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : iPhone4 component costs : Re: iPhone4 component costs Server Time
3 Sep 2024 23:30:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: iPhone4 component costs
From: scott
Date: 25 Oct 2010 08:02:31
Message: <4cc571d7@news.povray.org>
> Well, the iPhone runs on battery power, so yeah, the power supply is
> probably a little unstable.

Not just that, but from a single voltage (the battery) several very stable
voltages must be generated.  This involves lots of analogue components (eg
how do you efficiently make accurate 3.3V, 5V and 8V lines from a LiPo
battery that can be between 3 and 4.5V?).

> I'm thinking more about desktop PC motherboards. Why do *they* need so
> many million capacitors?

Noise reduction, basically they allow everything to run correctly at much
higher frequencies than would be possible without them.  It works two ways,
the capacitors around each IC help to keep a smooth voltage level for that
IC, ie shielding it from any noise on the power supply lines.  Also the
capacitor then prevents a lot of noise being put back onto the supply line
from the ICs.

There are also a lot of resistors on the signal lines, these in conjunction
with the tiny parasitic capacitances cause a low-pass filter effect on the
signals.  This also helps to reduce noise emission from the lines.