POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : iPhone4 component costs : Re: iPhone4 component costs Server Time
3 Sep 2024 23:23:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: iPhone4 component costs
From: scott
Date: 25 Oct 2010 08:44:41
Message: <4cc57bb9$1@news.povray.org>
> 1. Why do you need several different voltages?

Different circuits need different voltages.  It's why the connector you plug
from the PSU to your motherboard has 20-odd wires and not just 2 big fat
ones.  In an iPhone I imagine you'd at least need different voltages for the
digital circuits, the audio circuits, the display and the RF ciruits.

> 2. I'm not aware of any way to change the voltage of a DC circuit.

This is often used for battery powered devices as it's very efficient:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charge_pump

> Mmm, interesting. (And ridiculously complicated.) I wonder how much of
> this stuff is to do with electromagnetic radiation? (You don't want EM
> interference stopping your motherboard working, and you don't want the
> board to radiate EM either...)

I assume they must pass certain legal test standards for EM compatibility,
but there are products that require stricter controls, especially ones that
are used near other RF equipment where interference is unwanted (eg medical
equipment, circuits in radio receivers, on planes, near to any
safety-critical device etc).