POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : More guitar Server Time
3 Sep 2024 21:14:23 EDT (-0400)
  More guitar (Message 9 to 18 of 18)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: More guitar
Date: 10 Oct 2010 18:10:38
Message: <4cb239de$1@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 10:13:02 -0700, Darren New wrote:

> Warp wrote:
>>   Made a couple of new videos:
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DG7gUo5v2K0
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ-hOV3cW2g
>>

> Nice. I've always liked greensleeves, and that was a nice version.
>
> I'm a little surprised you can do tremolo that way on an instrument with
> frets.  Only a little surprised, mind, but I thought the idea of the
> frets was to make sure the string length was always the same even if
> your finger was a bit off.

Both are very good recordings - really liked them both.  Technically,
though, what Warp was doing wasn't a tremolo, but was vibrato (a slight
vibration in pitch). :-)

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 10 Oct 2010 18:22:50
Message: <4cb23cba$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
> what Warp was doing wasn't a tremolo, but was vibrato (a slight
> vibration in pitch). :-)

TIL...

Don't blame me, I play percussion. ;-)

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Serving Suggestion:

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 10 Oct 2010 21:58:59
Message: <4cb26f63@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 15:22:49 -0700, Darren New wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> what Warp was doing wasn't a tremolo, but was vibrato (a slight
>> vibration in pitch). :-)
>
> TIL...
>
> Don't blame me, I play percussion. ;-)

LOL

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 11 Oct 2010 12:41:31
Message: <4cb33e3b@news.povray.org>
> Technically,
> though, what Warp was doing wasn't a tremolo, but was vibrato (a slight
> vibration in pitch). :-)

  It seems that "tremolo" has wildly varying meanings depending on the
context, the instrument and even different versions of the same instrument.
For example "tremolo" on classical guitar means a completely different thing
than "tremolo" on an electric guitar (at least when talking about the
so-called tremolo arm).

  Curiously, if you look at the wikipedia page for "tremolo", it utterly
fails to explain what it means, in a way that is easily understood. (It
also utterly fails to explain that it means completely different things
for different instruments.)

  Even when "tremolo" is used as a form of vibrato, there's still
disagreement on what their difference is. Some argue that "vibrato" is
a variation of frequency, while "tremolo" is a variation of amplitude.
(In the case of a guitar vibrato, it's actually both: Increasing the
tension of the string increases the frequency and decreases amplitude
because of conservation of energy, and vice-versa.)

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message