POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : kindle Server Time
4 Sep 2024 05:16:22 EDT (-0400)
  kindle (Message 53 to 62 of 92)
From: Stephen
Subject: Re: kindle
Date: 26 Aug 2010 03:08:06
Message: <4c7612d6$1@news.povray.org>
On 25/08/2010 10:52 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Aug 2010 10:28:28 +0100, Stephen wrote:
>
>> On 24/08/2010 8:32 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
>>> Ah, I wish I was rich.;-)
>>>

>> Would it help if I called you Rich(ard) ;-)
>
> Nope, 'cause that's one of my older brothers. ;-)

Sibling envy? I wouldn’t have thought it. ;-)

--

Best Regards,
	Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 26 Aug 2010 03:15:48
Message: <4c7614a4@news.povray.org>
On 26/08/2010 12:05 AM, Darren New wrote:
> I haven't been bothered by that, but then I don't really read with it
> plugged in.

That is one disadvantage with the Sony. You can't use it when it is
plugged into the usb port. Fortunately you can charge it with a power
supply and read at the same time.

--

Best Regards,
	Stephen

Post a reply to this message

> Fortunately you can charge it with a power
> supply and read at the same time.

Given the battery lasts for like 30 hours of reading and charges in 2 or 3,
I can't imagine this is actually a problem I'd ever face.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
    Quoth the raven:

Post a reply to this message

On 26/08/2010 3:51 PM, Darren New wrote:
> Stephen wrote:
>> Fortunately you can charge it with a power supply and read at the same
>> time.
>
> Given the battery lasts for like 30 hours of reading and charges in 2 or
> 3, I can't imagine this is actually a problem I'd ever face.

Nor me but my wife (who is ill) can read for 18 hours a day.

--

Best Regards,
	Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 26 Aug 2010 12:04:37
Message: <4c769095$1@news.povray.org>
Stephen wrote:
> Nor me but my wife (who is ill) can read for 18 hours a day.

Fair enough. I guess if you fail to plug it in before you sleep it could be
problematic.  Sorry to hear about your wife.

From: Stephen
Date: 26 Aug 2010 13:28:00
Message: <4c76a420$1@news.povray.org>
On 26/08/2010 5:04 PM, Darren New wrote:
> Stephen wrote:
>> Nor me but my wife (who is ill) can read for 18 hours a day.
>
> Fair enough. I guess if you fail to plug it in before you sleep it could
> be problematic. Sorry to hear about your wife.

Thanks, me too. It’s Trigeminal Neuralgia, so anything to take her mind
off it.

--

Best Regards,
	Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: andrel
Date: 26 Aug 2010 15:35:54
Message: <4C76C22D.5060302@gmail.com>
On 26-8-2010 0:55, Darren New wrote:
> andrel wrote:
>>>
>>> As I say, send me a complex PDF and I'll take a photo of the screen
>>> so you can see how it looks.
>>
>> what about 3D pdf? The only one I have here ATM is too big to post
>
> WTF is a 3D pdf?

the current pdf (from version 7 or 8) allows you to have 3D objects
embedded in it. We use it a.o. to have 3D reconstructions in the
supplemental data for (mainly) embryological papers.

I though the example I had was about 10MB it turns out it is only 2.4
what shall I do with it?
post it here?
put it on my website and give a selective group the link?
put it somewhere else where everybody can download? (where?)

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 26 Aug 2010 15:38:00
Message: <4c76c298$1@news.povray.org>
andrel wrote:
> the current pdf (from version 7 or 8) allows you to have 3D objects
> embedded in it.

I was completely unaware of any such thing.

> I though the example I had was about 10MB it turns out it is only 2.4
> what shall I do with it?

If you want to email it to me, I'll put it on my Kindle and watch it churn.
:-)  Is that the point of offering?

From: andrel
Date: 26 Aug 2010 15:44:51
Message: <4C76C446.1000100@gmail.com>
On 26-8-2010 21:37, Darren New wrote:
> andrel wrote:
>> the current pdf (from version 7 or 8) allows you to have 3D objects
>> embedded in it.
>
> I was completely unaware of any such thing.

you are not the only one. Only some journals allow this kind of
supplemental data. We would like more of those. It can really be a
useful addition to a paper.
Part of the problem is that almost nobody realizes that the possibility
is there, often without even changing any policy, as the supplemental
data (and the papers themselves) are in pdf format anyway.

>> I though the example I had was about 10MB it turns out it is only 2.4
>> what shall I do with it?
>
> If you want to email it to me, I'll put it on my Kindle and watch it
> churn. :-)

done

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 26 Aug 2010 15:54:08
Message: <4c76c660$1@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 08:08:07 +0100, Stephen wrote:

> On 25/08/2010 10:52 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:

>>> Would it help if I called you Rich(ard) ;-)
>>
>> Nope, 'cause that's one of my older brothers. ;-)
>>

> Sibling envy? I wouldn’t have thought it. ;-)

LOL