POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Data destruction Server Time
3 Sep 2024 19:13:54 EDT (-0400)
  Data destruction (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: Invisible
Subject: Data destruction
Date: 27 Jul 2010 07:41:40
Message: <4c4ec5f4$1@news.povray.org>
Oh yes, destruction is good, baby! :-D

Sorry - there's something wrong with me. I enjoy destroying things. Even
intangible things like computer data. Sad, I know...

Anyway, what do we think of this baby?

http://www.computerdisposals.co.uk/hdd-destruction.htm

I don't know about you, but I wouldn't have thought this is particularly
effective. Sure, the drive is clearly rendered inoperable. But the
platters still appear to be intact, although obviously not the same
shape any more. To me, this suggests that the magnetic domains ought to
be still readable with sufficiently sophisticated equipment.

Also... I thought the platters were glass? Last time I checked, glass
doesn't bend.

And finally, how many thousand tonnes of force does it take to bend
inch-thick steel? And how do you generate those kinds of forces with
such a tiny machine?

Post a reply to this message