POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Data destruction : Re: Data destruction Server Time
3 Sep 2024 21:12:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Data destruction
From: scott
Date: 27 Jul 2010 10:53:55
Message: <4c4ef303$1@news.povray.org>
> However, I've never seen glass deform plastically before. I didn't think
> it could do that.

No, it tends to fail before it deforms plastically.  Doesn't mean glass
can't bend or exist in a bent state though (you just need some force to hold
it there).

> Have you handled a harddrive lately? It's basically a solid brick of steel
> with spaces inside it hollowed out for the platters and the motor.

Yes, and also about 10-15mm thick, so I fail to see how the case around the
platters is an inch thick.

> That's just it. If you take any feasible size motor and gear it down
> sufficiently to generate the collossal forces required, the thing would
> move so slowly it would make continental drift look fast. Yet this machine
> doesn't appear to do that...

You only need to crush a distance of about 10 mm, and I assume you want that
done in a few seconds, so I make that about 2mm/s, and given a 100W motor
that gives 50 kN.  I haven't tried it, but it sounds enough to do some
serious damage to the drive...