POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Data destruction : Re: Data destruction Server Time
3 Sep 2024 21:12:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Data destruction
From: scott
Date: 27 Jul 2010 09:49:20
Message: <4c4ee3e0$1@news.povray.org>
> Also... I thought the platters were glass? Last time I checked, glass
> doesn't bend.

Of course glass bends, and if you have a thin bit (eg 0.3mm) it bends quite
significantly without breaking.

> And finally, how many thousand tonnes of force does it take to bend
> inch-thick steel?

For a start the steel is probably only 1mm thick, if that, and that sort of
thickness you can usually bend over your knee with your bare hands.

> And how do you generate those kinds of forces with such a tiny machine?

Mechanical advantage:

power = input force * input speed = output force * output speed.

Example is having a tiny electric motor geared down by several orders of
magnitude driving a press.

You could get a 100W motor (the sort in those hand-held food mixers), gear
it down a huge amount and you could get pretty much whatever force you
wanted (of course the higher the force, the slower it will move down).