POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Damn that's sweet. Server Time
4 Sep 2024 01:20:03 EDT (-0400)
  Damn that's sweet. (Message 14 to 23 of 23)
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: Damn that's sweet.
Date: 27 Jul 2010 12:15:07
Message: <4c4f060b$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   2's complement binary registers require simpler circuitry to be operated
> with, compared to BCD registers, hence making the CPU design simpler (and
> hence less expensive).

Until it's time to scale the decimal place.

Add a 30-digit number with two decimal places to a 30-digit number with 4
decimal places in binary.

Now do the same in BCD.

But, surely, Intel's mainframe CPU division doesn't know anything about
efficiency of instructions and data.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
    C# - a language whose greatest drawback