POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Damn that's sweet. : Re: Damn that's sweet. Server Time
4 Sep 2024 03:19:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Damn that's sweet.
From: scott
Date: 29 Jul 2010 10:15:47
Message: <4c518d13@news.povray.org>
> Mainframes do way more than overnight batch jobs.  A typical mainframe
> environment will allow for 99.999% uptime.  Handle millions of
> transactions per day with response times below 5 secs.  A similar
> environment made out of x86 or x64 hardware, with the required redundancy,
> clustering and load-balancers required to achieve five-9s uptime (That's
> less than 25 secs of downtime PER MONTH!) as well has handle the number of
> transactions at the same speed will probably be as expensive, if not more.

Oh ok, that's all I wondered.  I guess they have different requirements than
eg Google that decided to take the lots-of-cheap-x86s path.

> That's the main reason banks and airlines (the two industries I'm familiar
> with) don't change their systems.

Yeh, and if there was some advantage to x86 sytems, it would probably have
to be quite a large gap to make it worthwhile changing over (which surely
won't be cheap).