POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Transmogrify Server Time
3 Sep 2024 19:11:59 EDT (-0400)
  Transmogrify (Message 1 to 10 of 98)
From: Orchid XP v8
Subject: Transmogrify
Date: 25 Jul 2010 08:36:56
Message: <4c4c2fe8$1@news.povray.org>
So it's now just over a week since that epic dance last Saturday night.
And I'm just sitting here reflecting on what happened there. In
particular, once I started dancing, I underwent a rather radical
transformation.

First of all, usually when I'm at class, I get about 45 seconds into a
dance and start to feel really quite tired. (45 seconds may not sound
like a lot, but as the Beatles pointed out in Yellow Submarine, even 60
seconds is a surprisingly long time.) By the end of the dance, depending
on how long it is, I'm really quite breathless.

And yet, on Saturday night I danced and danced and danced and danced and
danced. The first dance was just as tiring as it always is. But by the
end of the evening I was dancing multiple tracks back-to-back. I'd go
fling my partner round the dance floor for 3 minutes (or whatever the
typical track length is), take her back to her seat, pick a new partner,
and go dance another one!

And it's not that I was fighting hard to overcome tiredness either. It's
because I DIDN'T FEEL TIRED. I had no sensation of tiredness at all.
Indeed, I felt the *opposite* of tired. It was physically difficult to
stand still. When I got home, in the middle of the night, I was
_skipping_ down the road to my front door!

Secondly, there was a rather spectacular change in my personallity. As
one or two of you might be aware, I'm not a confident person. I am a
shy, quiet person who sits in the corner not speaking to anybody.

I love to dance, but even that said, I am usually the guy dancing right
at the back of the dance floor so that nobody can see me. And even then,
only if it's a dance that I'm 100% certain that I know how to do, and
I'm completely confident in my partner's ability to do the dance too.

I don't know what the hell came over me on Saturday, but I was
*psyched*. I'm up on the dance floor throwing my partner around, and I
felt like my dancing was on *fire*! I felt like I could take on the
entire ****ing WORLD.

AND WIN!!

A couple of times, the dance floor was completely empty, and without a
shadow of hesitation I dragged Debbie out there to dance with me.
Debbie, only the best dancer in the entire building. So, no pressure or
anything then. Much. We're the only dancers on the dance floor, the
whole place is watching our every move, and I haven't got a care in the
world. I *want* them to watch us, because I think we're dancing so
excellently and I want everybody to see.

Five minutes later, the floor is once again empty for a moment, and I
drag Elaine out there. Little Elaine, who's had, what, a grand total of
4 dance lessons? She's a total beginner, and bless her, she's still very
new at this. I know for a fact her dancing will not, cannot, be perfect.
And yet I'm still happy to dance with her in front of everybody, on an
empty floor.

Jesus Christ, I wanted Laura and Lucy to come and do Double Trouble with
me. I was completely serious. And I DON'T EVEN KNOW DOUBLE TROUBLE!!!
What the hell was I thinking?! O_O (Fortunately, Laura had more sense...
Man, that would have been one short dance!)

I really don't know what happened to me on Saturday night. But I liked it!

People have suggested that maybe somebody spiked my drink. All I can say
is, if that was drugs, I'd like some more please! :-O Seriously, *is*
there a chemical that makes you feel relaxed, happy, confident, excited
and energetic? I rather doubt it.

Is it normal for exercise to provoke these kinds of reactions??

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

> People have suggested that maybe somebody spiked my drink. All I can say
> is, if that was drugs, I'd like some more please! :-O Seriously, *is*
> there a chemical that makes you feel relaxed, happy, confident, excited
> and energetic?

Yes.  That's why they are illegal.  and expensive.

Post a reply to this message

On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 13:36:56 +0100, Orchid XP v8 wrote:

> And it's not that I was fighting hard to overcome tiredness either. It's
> because I DIDN'T FEEL TIRED. I had no sensation of tiredness at all.
> Indeed, I felt the *opposite* of tired. It was physically difficult to
> stand still. When I got home, in the middle of the night, I was
> _skipping_ down the road to my front door!

That's the adrenaline rush that I (and others) mentioned before - you got
there!  Good job sticking with it.  It's a pretty good euphoria, isn't it?

> People have suggested that maybe somebody spiked my drink. All I can say
> is, if that was drugs, I'd like some more please! :-O Seriously, *is*
> there a chemical that makes you feel relaxed, happy, confident, excited
> and energetic? I rather doubt it.

Adrenaline, or epinephrine (essentially the same thing IIRC).

> Is it normal for exercise to provoke these kinds of reactions??

Yes, absolutely, but it's not something that happens the first time,
you've got to build to it, and you have.  :-)

Jim

Post a reply to this message

>> there a chemical that makes you feel relaxed, happy, confident, excited
>> and energetic?
>
> Yes.  That's why they are illegal.  and expensive.

I've heard of drugs that give you energy, make you calm, numb pain or
make you see plastercine porters with looking-glass ties. But I've never
heard of a chemical which actually makes you feel *happy*.

(I gather that antidepressants are supposed to do that, and they
spectacularly fail to work.)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

>> And it's not that I was fighting hard to overcome tiredness either. It's
>> because I DIDN'T FEEL TIRED. I had no sensation of tiredness at all.
>> Indeed, I felt the *opposite* of tired. It was physically difficult to
>> stand still. When I got home, in the middle of the night, I was
>> _skipping_ down the road to my front door!
>
> That's the adrenaline rush that I (and others) mentioned before - you got
> there!  Good job sticking with it.  It's a pretty good euphoria, isn't it?

Heh. 1 o'clock in the morning and I'm dancing little drop-basics and
doing twirls as I walk down the street, shaking my booty to the music
that nobody else can hear. People must think I'm a total crack-head! :-)

>> People have suggested that maybe somebody spiked my drink. All I can say
>> is, if that was drugs, I'd like some more please! :-O Seriously, *is*
>> there a chemical that makes you feel relaxed, happy, confident, excited
>> and energetic? I rather doubt it.
>
> Adrenaline, or epinephrine (essentially the same thing IIRC).

Is this the same adrenaline that causes rapid heartbeat, stomach cramps,
axiety, profuse sweating, rage, depression and shortness of breath?

>> Is it normal for exercise to provoke these kinds of reactions??
>
> Yes, absolutely, but it's not something that happens the first time,
> you've got to build to it, and you have.  :-)

Heh. I blame the Young family. If they hadn't been there, my evening
would have gone rather differently...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 18:56:37 +0100, Orchid XP v8 wrote:

>>> And it's not that I was fighting hard to overcome tiredness either.
>>> It's because I DIDN'T FEEL TIRED. I had no sensation of tiredness at
>>> all. Indeed, I felt the *opposite* of tired. It was physically
>>> difficult to stand still. When I got home, in the middle of the night,
>>> I was _skipping_ down the road to my front door!
>>
>> That's the adrenaline rush that I (and others) mentioned before - you
>> got there!  Good job sticking with it.  It's a pretty good euphoria,
>> isn't it?
>
> Heh. 1 o'clock in the morning and I'm dancing little drop-basics and
> doing twirls as I walk down the street, shaking my booty to the music
> that nobody else can hear. People must think I'm a total crack-head! :-)

And what's more, you don't (and shouldn't) care! :-)

>>> People have suggested that maybe somebody spiked my drink. All I can
>>> say is, if that was drugs, I'd like some more please! :-O Seriously,
>>> *is* there a chemical that makes you feel relaxed, happy, confident,
>>> excited and energetic? I rather doubt it.
>>
>> Adrenaline, or epinephrine (essentially the same thing IIRC).
>
> Is this the same adrenaline that causes rapid heartbeat, stomach cramps,
> axiety, profuse sweating, rage, depression and shortness of breath?

Yep, it certainly is.  It's responsible for a fair amount.

>>> Is it normal for exercise to provoke these kinds of reactions??
>>
>> Yes, absolutely, but it's not something that happens the first time,
>> you've got to build to it, and you have.  :-)
>
> Heh. I blame the Young family. If they hadn't been there, my evening
> would have gone rather differently...

Now that you've gotten to it once, you may see it again - just enjoy it.
You've earned it. :-)

Jim

Post a reply to this message