POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Transmogrify Server Time
4 Sep 2024 07:17:09 EDT (-0400)
  Transmogrify (Message 41 to 50 of 98)
From: Patrick Elliott
Subject: Re: Transmogrify
Date: 28 Jul 2010 18:21:46
Message: <4c50ad7a$1@news.povray.org>
On 7/28/2010 5:21 AM, Stephen wrote:
>> Understand, I have never done drugs, I never intend to do drugs, and I
>> have no desire to do them. I personally wouldn't because I do think it
>> would be bad for me (in a number of ways). I come at this from a
>> standpoint of not having experienced anything related to the types of
>> drugs we're talking about (I once got pretty tripped out on Hydrocodone,
>> which I react very badly to, but that's a slightly different story
>> because it was something obtained with a prescription).
>>
>> If someone wants to be addicted to cigarettes, pot, alcohol, etc - as
>> long as they're not impacting me (through secondhand smoke, for example),
>> I don't care. They can knock themselves out. Once it leaves them, just
>> as with alcohol, then there are consequences and let the consequences be
>> steep (as they are for DUI, for example).

Problem, as I maybe muddled a bit in the other post where I said this,
is there are drugs, and then there are drugs.

You get mild ones, like pot, you get the harder ones, which you keep
needing to take more and more of, but which are fairly tame, then you
get into the stuff where the things you describe above are the "norm",
for when the hit starts to wear off. Those later ones are not going to
be "better" if you make any of it legal, or give out prescriptions, or
build something like the old opium dens, to do it "safely", etc. About
10% of the population have odd quirks in their biology that make them
able to take "most" of this stuff, and walk away without needing it
again. On the other end is the 10% that will drop dead, the first time
they take something, the rest are like someone who intentionally jammed
their foot in a wood chipper, because someone said it would be fun, and
societies reaction, as a whole, to those people ranges from, "Pray and
it will grow back, but don't go to them damn doctors.", to, "Why should
the state use my money to give you an artificial foot, or therapy, its
your own damn fault!" Problem with this idiot way of looking at the
problem is, of course, if there where thousands of people missing feet,
all over the place, it *might* just have an impact of everyone else's
well being and safety, thus making both the "do nothing, its all in your
mind" people, and the, "I won't pay for it!", people, all complete
idiots. But, then.. I suppose you could just fix the problem by throwing
everyone that is missing a foot in jail. It would be so much easier,
even if it costs 500 times as much.

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {

On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 15:21:43 -0700, Patrick Elliott wrote:

> Problem, as I maybe muddled a bit in the other post where I said this,
> is there are drugs, and then there are drugs.

Sure, I don't know that I would be for legalization of heroin or crack
cocaine.

> You get mild ones, like pot, you get the harder ones, which you keep
> needing to take more and more of, but which are fairly tame, then you
> get into the stuff where the things you describe above are the "norm",
> for when the hit starts to wear off.

I don't know though that I buy the argument about "gateway drugs".  From
my perspective, it's about personal responsibility and self-control.

> Those later ones are not going to
> be "better" if you make any of it legal, or give out prescriptions, or
> build something like the old opium dens, to do it "safely", etc. About
> 10% of the population have odd quirks in their biology that make them
> able to take "most" of this stuff, and walk away without needing it
> again. On the other end is the 10% that will drop dead, the first time
> they take something, the rest are like someone who intentionally jammed
> their foot in a wood chipper, because someone said it would be fun, and
> societies reaction, as a whole, to those people ranges from, "Pray and
> it will grow back, but don't go to them damn doctors.", to, "Why should
> the state use my money to give you an artificial foot, or therapy, its
> your own damn fault!" Problem with this idiot way of looking at the
> problem is, of course, if there where thousands of people missing feet,
> all over the place, it *might* just have an impact of everyone else's
> well being and safety, thus making both the "do nothing, its all in your
> mind" people, and the, "I won't pay for it!", people, all complete
> idiots. But, then.. I suppose you could just fix the problem by throwing
> everyone that is missing a foot in jail. It would be so much easier,
> even if it costs 500 times as much.

Or you could hold people accountable for their personal decisions.  They
stick their foot in the woodchipper, fine, but that injury isn't covered
by insurance because it's self-inflicted (for example).  Action and
consequence.

And yes, that would have an impact on their immediate family.  Again,
that's a consequence of their action.  My family member who went to
prison for his DUI offense had consequences for his actions as well, and
they affected more than him.  That's life, and he's accepted those
consequences.

It bothers me greatly that people think there should be no consequences
for what they do.

Jim

Post a reply to this message