POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Transmogrify : Re: Transmogrify Server Time
4 Sep 2024 09:14:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Transmogrify
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 28 Jul 2010 18:21:46
Message: <4c50ad7a$1@news.povray.org>
On 7/28/2010 5:21 AM, Stephen wrote:
>> Understand, I have never done drugs, I never intend to do drugs, and I
>> have no desire to do them. I personally wouldn't because I do think it
>> would be bad for me (in a number of ways). I come at this from a
>> standpoint of not having experienced anything related to the types of
>> drugs we're talking about (I once got pretty tripped out on Hydrocodone,
>> which I react very badly to, but that's a slightly different story
>> because it was something obtained with a prescription).
>>
>> If someone wants to be addicted to cigarettes, pot, alcohol, etc - as
>> long as they're not impacting me (through secondhand smoke, for example),
>> I don't care. They can knock themselves out. Once it leaves them, just
>> as with alcohol, then there are consequences and let the consequences be
>> steep (as they are for DUI, for example).

Problem, as I maybe muddled a bit in the other post where I said this,
is there are drugs, and then there are drugs.

You get mild ones, like pot, you get the harder ones, which you keep
needing to take more and more of, but which are fairly tame, then you
get into the stuff where the things you describe above are the "norm",
for when the hit starts to wear off. Those later ones are not going to
be "better" if you make any of it legal, or give out prescriptions, or
build something like the old opium dens, to do it "safely", etc. About
10% of the population have odd quirks in their biology that make them
able to take "most" of this stuff, and walk away without needing it
again. On the other end is the 10% that will drop dead, the first time
they take something, the rest are like someone who intentionally jammed
their foot in a wood chipper, because someone said it would be fun, and
societies reaction, as a whole, to those people ranges from, "Pray and
it will grow back, but don't go to them damn doctors.", to, "Why should
the state use my money to give you an artificial foot, or therapy, its
your own damn fault!" Problem with this idiot way of looking at the
problem is, of course, if there where thousands of people missing feet,
all over the place, it *might* just have an impact of everyone else's
well being and safety, thus making both the "do nothing, its all in your
mind" people, and the, "I won't pay for it!", people, all complete
idiots. But, then.. I suppose you could just fix the problem by throwing
everyone that is missing a foot in jail. It would be so much easier,
even if it costs 500 times as much.

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {