POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A random wondering of my own... Server Time
3 Sep 2024 19:19:45 EDT (-0400)
  A random wondering of my own... (Message 1 to 10 of 109)
From: Warp
Subject: A random wondering of my own...
Date: 17 Jul 2010 14:54:41
Message: <4c41fc71@news.povray.org>
Why do creationists (with which I'm referring to certain specific dogmas
rather than "christians" or "believers" in general) continuously confuse
two completely different and separate fields of science, namely astronomy
and biology?

  You constantly hear claims like "evolutionists claim that the universe
began with a 'big bang' from nothing" and such.

  The so-called Big Bang Theory is part of the field of science called
astronomy. The Theory of Evolution is part of the field called biology.
Astronomy and biology are both natural sciences, but that's approximately
where their commonalities end. Otherwise they don't have about anything
in common. They are completely different fields of science.

  It seems that there's a misconception among creationists that "the theory
of evolution" is a catch-all term which encompasses, among many other things,
the Big Bang theory, stellar evolution, abiogenesis and biological evolution.
All kinds of claims are made about the "theory of evolution" which have
nothing to do with it and belong to completely unrelated fields of science
such as astronomy and astrophysics.

  Of course "evolution" is a relatively narrow field of science (compared
to the whole) which encompasses a lot less than creationists seem to think.

  Another (perhaps "lesser", but definitely more common) misconception seems
to be that the theory of evolution claims that life formed from non-organic
elements. Of course the theory of evolution says no such thing. They are
confusing it with abiogenesis, which is the theory of how and why life could
have formed from non-life. The theory of evolution only encompasses *already
living* groups of organisms, not how they became into existence in the first
place.

  But that confusion can be forgiven, as the subject matters are quite
related (namely, how modern life came into existence). What is less
forgivable is confusing two completely different branches of science
which have nothing in common (ie. biology and astronomy).

  Do they do that on purpose or something?

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

>    But that confusion can be forgiven, as the subject matters are quite
> related (namely, how modern life came into existence). What is less
> forgivable is confusing two completely different branches of science
> which have nothing in common (ie. biology and astronomy).

Because the question of evolution fundamentally boils down to "where did
we come from?"...er..."whence came we?"  Vocal atheists play the same
card with 'then who created God?'

--
Tim Cook
http://empyrean.freesitespace.net

Post a reply to this message

>   You constantly hear claims like "evolutionists claim that the universe
> began with a 'big bang' from nothing" and such.

First I heard of it.

Post a reply to this message