POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Things you can't Google Server Time
4 Sep 2024 05:19:22 EDT (-0400)
  Things you can't Google (Message 25 to 34 of 54)
From: Warp
Subject: Re: Things you can't Google
Date: 16 Jul 2010 16:41:56
Message: <4c40c414@news.povray.org>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
> > Warp wrote:
> > >
> > >   I have never really understood the difference between a college and a
> > > university in the US

> > Generally speaking, it's whether you have multiple campuses, or just one. At
> > least, that's what it was when I went to college.

> > It has nothing to do with what they teach or how long you attend or anything
> > like that. Just, basically, size.

>   What would be the problem in calling all of them universities, if they
> teach the same things and you get the same academic degrees?

  Btw, it seems (according to wikipedia) that there are actually two
definitions of "college": The official definition and the informal,
colloquial definition. As wikipedia puts it:

"In popular usage, the word "college" is the generic term for any
post-secondary undergraduate education. Americans go to "college"
after high school, regardless of whether the specific institution is
formally a college or a university, and the word and its derivatives
are the standard terms used to describe the institutions and
experiences associated with American post-secondary undergraduate
education."

  The official definition seems to be more complex.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 13:14:07 -0700, Darren New wrote:

> Warp wrote:
>> Darren New <dne### [at] sanrrcom> wrote:
>>> Then there's college, often at a university. A "university" here is a
>>> college with campuses in more than one city. So you have "University
>>> of California San Diego" and "University of California in Berkeley",
>>> etc.
>>
>>   I have never really understood the difference between a college and a
>> university in the US
>
> Generally speaking, it's whether you have multiple campuses, or just
> one. At least, that's what it was when I went to college.
>
> It has nothing to do with what they teach or how long you attend or
> anything like that. Just, basically, size.

That sounds right to me as well - though it isn't even "size" so much; I
went to Embry-Riddle, and as schools go it's fairly small, but they have
multiple campuses, so it's classified as a university.

Jim

Post a reply to this message