POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Things you can't Google : Re: Things you can't Google Server Time
4 Sep 2024 05:20:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Things you can't Google
From: Warp
Date: 16 Jul 2010 16:41:56
Message: <4c40c414@news.povray.org>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
> > Warp wrote:
> > >
> > >   I have never really understood the difference between a college and a
> > > university in the US

> > Generally speaking, it's whether you have multiple campuses, or just one. At
> > least, that's what it was when I went to college.

> > It has nothing to do with what they teach or how long you attend or anything
> > like that. Just, basically, size.

>   What would be the problem in calling all of them universities, if they
> teach the same things and you get the same academic degrees?

  Btw, it seems (according to wikipedia) that there are actually two
definitions of "college": The official definition and the informal,
colloquial definition. As wikipedia puts it:

"In popular usage, the word "college" is the generic term for any
post-secondary undergraduate education. Americans go to "college"
after high school, regardless of whether the specific institution is
formally a college or a university, and the word and its derivatives
are the standard terms used to describe the institutions and
experiences associated with American post-secondary undergraduate
education."

  The official definition seems to be more complex.

--
                                                          - Warp